Kitchen Cabinet Construction | Shop Made / Manufactured? Whether shop made or manufactured, kitchen cabinet construction matters.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE RIGHT CABINETS FOR YOUR HOME.
Kitchen Cabinet Construction | Shop Made / Manufactured? Kitchen cabinets are a major focal point in any kitchen. They can establish your style while being a functional element of any design. In fact, some of the most important decision you’ll make when remodeling your kitchen involves your cabinetry. What type of wood, what door and drawer style, what accessories do you want, what finish is right for your home?
One other decision you’ll need to make is the choice between custom cabinets and manufactured or box cabinets. Many homeowners believe that custom cabinets are the better choice, but the truth is, it depends on the construction of the boxes, and the quality of the workmanship.
If you’re seeking a semi-custom or even custom kitchen cabinets that will last a lifetime, consider a large manufacturer. They will have the equipment, skills, and flexibility to craft cabinets that you’ll love!
CUSTOM OR MANUFACTURED?
Custom cabinets are made specifically to order for your project. There isn’t a catalog of standard sizes or details, they are created to meet the specification and style of your home, and are typically made in a local shop. Custom cabinets can include round cabinets, refrigerator panels, and non-standard heights or depths.
Box or manufactured cabinets are made in standard sizes with a variety of options like interiors and finishes. They’re ordered from a catalog using specific wording to describe each cabinet. They are produced in a factory setting and tend to be less expensive than custom made, of course, this can vary depending on the materials and finish you choose.
The bottom line, the quality, finishes and kitchen cabinet construction along with the stability, consistency, workmanship, and reputation of the factory or shop are the most important considerations when choosing your cabinets.
In the photo: A beautiful custom made kitchen in Colleyville, Tx. Click here to see more!
KITCHEN CABINET CONSTRUCTION: MANUFACTURED OR LOCALLY BUILT?
Over the past 40 years, the cabinet industry has transformed thanks to the technology available. Today, more durable finishes and environmentally friendly options have made factory-made custom kitchen cabinet construction extremely popular. Let’s look at some of the differences between custom cabinets made at a local shop versus in a larger factory.
Factory made custom cabinetry offers some important benefits including:
- The manufacturing process is controlled, humidity is controlled using misters to ensure the air and wood have the perfect moisture content
- Finishes are applied in a specific, dedicated area with positive airflow to eliminate the risks of dust.
- Doors and drawer fronts are sanded with a combination of hand and computer aided equipment to assure the smoothest surface possible before applying finishes.
- A chemical baking process creates a durable finish that is resistant to staining from most food or liquids and can stand up to heavy use.
Small local cabinet maker’s kitchen cabinet construction process is often very different. Smaller shops tend to:
- Finish in a room at their site or right on the job site where high levels of dust exist and there are no controls for environmental dust.
- Use orbital hand sanders and paint sprayers which cannot achieve the same level of consistency, durability, and depth of factory finished cabinets.
- Often let finishes air dry, which means that never completely cure. Air dried finishes can absorb dirt and food particles, which can give them a gummy look and feel.
Unless your local cabinet shop is equipped with the latest high-tech baking booth technology, their cabinets will not have the same quality as factory-finished cabinets.
Kitchen Cabinet Construction | Shop Made / Manufactured? just call us now:
MATERIALS AND QUALITY
Top quality cabinets use the highest quality materials, and like good furniture, are made with the highest standards of care and workmanship. The belief that factory made cabinets are “mass produced” and of lower quality is not the case at all. A large facility will:
- Use the highest quality materials like hardwood plywood, durable particle board or MDF, high-end panels and premium face veneers
- Measure and control moisture content before and during manufacturing to ensure the highest standards of materials and construction.
- Offers doors and drawer fronts in any wood or finish you want.
Small Cabinet makers:
- Usually, do not take advantage of the many benefits of durable particle board or MDF.
- Often use lower grade, multi-purpose materials.
- Do not offer inset cabinet construction because of their inability to control the moisture content of the materials enough to ensure quality construction.
DESIGN AND AVAILABILITY
True custom kitchen cabinet construction allows you complete flexibility in your kitchen design and gives you a fitted look that you just can’t get with stock cabinetry. The major difference here between manufactured and locally build custom cabinetry is the choices you’ll have.
Large manufacturing facilities have access to a large pool of talented designers giving you a much larger selection of cutting-edge designs. They can also custom make decorative pieces and typically have a large selection in stock. Local shops often have much less design experience and training. They may not have a large selection of displays or samples available. Looking for kitchen remodeling ideas and cabinetry selection? Click Here
Kitchen Cabinet Construction | Shop Made / Manufactured?
DELIVERING YOUR CABINETS
Large manufacturers can guarantee delivery of your cabinets by a specific date with proper lead times. Because they are smaller, if a local shop owner or a member of their team becomes sick or otherwise incapacitated, delays can occur that can hold up your project. Other times, they can meet the delivery time for cabinet boxes, but without doors and drawer fronts, which are completed after installation, and again can slow down your project.
Manufacturers also tend to offer lifetime warranties on the construction of your cabinets while smaller companies will offer more limited warranties. Finally, if you’re concerned with the environmental impact of your cabinets, larger manufacturers are typically more green employing policies for waste reduction and recycling as well as energy conservation. Most local shops can’t afford to sustain earth-friendly processes lacking the resources to provide truly green products.
Your kitchen cabinets are a major element in your kitchen remodeling. When planning your project, consider the benefits of using manufactured custom cabinetry. If you do choose to work with a small shop, make sure that they have the technology available to provide the highest-quality cabinets and that they stand behind their work. Because kitchen cabinetry is such a large part of your project, make sure to do your due diligence and work with a company that can provide you the quality of construction and choice of materials to meet your needs.
Kitchen Cabinet Construction | Shop Made / Manufactured?