Garage Conversion 101 – Reasons for Converting Your Garage Into Livable Space
If you need to add usable space to your home, but don’t have the budget for a full-scale addition, look no farther than your garage! For many families, the garage isn’t even used for the car anymore. Often it ends up becoming a kind of catch-all storage space packed with the kid’s old hockey uniforms, and Christmas decorations. If you’re looking for space to add that media room, exercise room or in-law suite, your garage might be the perfect solution.
Looking for garage conversion in Dallas? Let the professionals at Joseph & Berry help you! Click here and we’ll contact you shortly.
The typical two-car garage conversion can add as much as 600 square feet of living space to your home. Because there is some infrastructure already in place like a slab floor, exterior walls, a pass through into the house and electrical wiring, the costs of converting the garage can be significantly less than adding an addition.
Let’s look at some of the practical reasons for a garage conversion that is designed for additional living space makes perfect sense.
First, The Cost Factor
As we mentioned above, because a garage already has a foundation, walls, a roof and some electrical, using the existing structure costs around half of what a new addition can cost. Depending on the level of finishes, you can expect to spend anywhere from $35,000 to $50,000 or more to convert the typical two-car garage into functional living space. If you’re planning on adding a bathroom, expect to pay an additional $20,000 to $30,000.
What To Expect: Garage Conversion Scope of Work
A garage conversion involves a fairly extensive scope of work. While much infrastructure is in place, it can still take 4 to 6 weeks to complete depending on the fixtures and finishes. A typical garage conversion can include:
- Raising the floor height to insulate over the concrete slab
- Insulating the walls and ceiling
- Tying the space into the home’s main HVAC system, or adding an independent system, like a ductless mini system.
- Electrical work including wiring and upgrading service to accommodate the larger load
- Opening the space to the main house
- Replacing the garage doors with windows, or fully insulated walls
- Adding additional windows and door
- Tying into the home’s plumbing if including a bathroom
To prevent your garage conversion from looking like well…a garage conversion, you’ll need to remove any evidence it was once a garage. That means possibly adding rooftop design elements like dormer windows, or skylights, additional windows and interior trim. Your design build remodel firm can add architectural elements to help transform your garage into a functional space that fits in with your existing home’s design.
The Benefits Of A Garage Conversion
There are many benefits of converting your garage into living space rather than building an addition. Including:
- Additional useful space – Whether your family is growing, or your in-laws are moving in, your garage conversion can become anything you need. The top five choices for conversion projects are creating a guest suite, home office, fitness room, playroom for the kids, or a much-needed man cave. The truth is, whatever your creative vision, a good design build remodel firm can create the perfect interior space to meet your needs, whatever they are.
- It’s a Budget Friendly Way To Add Space – Life changes. If you find yourself needing additional space, and are working with a limited budget, a garage conversion can cost half of the price of adding an addition. With a little creativity and a decent budget, a conversion can solve your family’s need for space.
- Adds Value To Your Home – Creating additional living space will not only offer the immediate benefit of more space, it can add to the value of your home. Often, depending on the space you create, especially if it includes extra bedrooms with a bathroom, you can more than make up the cost when you sell.
If you need additional living space and are weighing your options, give the experts at Joseph & Berry a call!
We can show you the cost benefits of converting your garage, and our design team can create the perfect space for your family. We can handle the entire project from designing your space to securing permits and constructing a beautiful, functional space that will blend perfectly into your lifestyle.